A wonderful way to use intact oats! This recipe makes a hot cereal consistency where the oat kernels are burst open but still a little chewy. You can add another 1/2 cup of water and cook for 50 minutes, allowing the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally, for a mushier, softer, version that is more like porridge. Experiment and see which you like better! Nutrition facts below were calculated with a yield of 3 1/4 cups cooked, but they will stay the same for 1/4 of the recipe – using either amount of water.
This is the Instant Pot I use – Instant Pot
Lucia’s Simple Oat Groats
- Instant Pot
- Measure then rinse the oat groats.
- Place groats in Instant Pot with water and salt.
- Use the "Manual" setting and set for 40 minutes at high pressure. Close the vent to seal it.
- Allow pot to depressurize on its own before removing lid. Takes 10-15 minutes, depending on pot and recipe size.
- Serve hot.
- Top with ground flaxseed, chopped fresh fruit, some pumpkin or sunflower seeds and unsweetened non-dairy milk.