This hearty start to your day is packed with fiber and phytonutrients to give you the fuel you need to perform while stabilizing insulin production and decreasing blood sugar spikes. You can double or triple the garnishes (except for the hemp seeds!) without changing the total calories significantly, so if you need more to feel satisfied, just pile them on! You can even put a layer of baby greens or chopped leafy lettuce on the bottom to turn it into a whole meal. A little dollop of mild salsa or a drizzle of lemon or lime juice can also be added – just get creative!
Lucia’s Garlicky Lentil Kale Bowl
- Instant Pot or Saucepan with lid
- Med. Frying Pan
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. Hemp hearts
- Heat saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add crushed garlic with a tablespoon or 2 of water to keep it from scorching. Stir for a few seconds until aromatic. Add cumin and stir around quickly.
- Add the chopped kale and stir and cover. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, to keep the kale from scorching. Stir frequently until the kale wilts and lower the heat.
- Allow to cook for about 5 minutes or till the kale is tender (time will depend on type of kale) while you prepare the garnishes.
- Add lentils and toss with greens and the rest of the seasonings.
- Divide into two portions, placing each in a bowl. Top with the garnishes and enjoy!