GrainsMain DishVegan/Plant based Recipes
Lucia’s Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese
Looking for something easy and delicious to add to the holiday dinner table? Look no further! This Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese is a true crowd pleaser. In fact, you might want to make a little extra because your guests will surely be asking for seconds!
Lucia’s Dairy-free Mac and Cheese
- 3 cups whole grain or bean pasta (brown rice for GF version)
- 1 c. water hot water will shorten the cooking time
- ¾ c. raw cashew pieces rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powdeR
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable seasoned salt or to taste
- Prepare 2-3 cups of uncooked, whole grain or bean pasta elbows (use brown rice pasta for gluten free version), by boiling in a large pot with plenty of salted water for about 3 min. and then turn the fire off and allow to sit for about 15 minutes while you make the sauce. Rinse in cool water after 15 minutes and toss with olive oil (optional) until ready to mix with sauce.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients until very smooth and creamy.
- Then add 1 – 1 ½ cups of additional warm water, depending on how thick you want the sauce.
- Pour blended mixture into a saucepan over med-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over cooked pasta and mix gently but thoroughly. May be eaten as is.
- For baked mac and cheese casserole:
- Place sauce and pasta mix into a oiled casserole dish, sprinkle with paprika or bread crumbs and place, uncovered, in oven on top rack at 350°until the top is golden (about 20 minutes). Serve hot.
Serving: 0.067of the recipe | Calories: 2249kcal | Carbohydrates: 300g | Protein: 94g | Fat: 91g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 19g | Monounsaturated Fat: 46g | Sodium: 2973mg | Potassium: 2565mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 25mg