This recipe may look daunting, but it really isn’t that complex, and it is a huge crowd pleaser! I have yet to find someone that doesn’t like it! Read the whole recipe before you start. When preparing this meal, I start with preparing the soy curl filling. Then I make the crepe batter. While the crepes are cooking (they take a while to cook thoroughly) I have time to put the cheesy sauce topping together.
Put filling on one half of a crepe and drizzle a little cheese over it before folding. Then fold crepe in half and drizzle with the cheese. Serve immediately. You can also make 6″ crepes, put one on a plate, place filling on top, drizzle some cheese sauce and then place a second crepe on top, then drizzle the sauce over the top.
Makes two 8” crepes.
Lucia’s Soy Curl & Veggie Crepe Filling
- non-stick skillet
- ½ cup Butler Soy Curls
- 1 cup Hot water
- 1 Tbs. Lucia’s chicken style seasoning
- 1 4 oz can mushrooms
- 1 onion in thin slices
- ¼ red sweet pepper thinly sliced
- ¼ orange sweet pepper thinkly sliced
- Rehydrate the soy curls in the hot water with the chicken style seasoning. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Stir a few times while they rehydrate.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms and peppers in non-stick pan preferably, till softened.
- Add the drained and rehydrated soy curls and more chicken style seasoning to taste if needed. Brown lightly and then use as filling in the garbanzo crepes.
I prepare the filling first, and while it is cooking, work on the Crepe Batter.
Lucia’s Savory Garbanzo Crepe Batter
- 7" non-stick frying pan
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend them on high to mix thoroughly. Makes a batter thin enough run in pan.
- Pour ½ the batter into a high quality, medium hot, non-stick 8” pan and tilt and rotate pan to quickly spread batter in a very thin layer on bottom of pan.
- Cook on med. heat until set, lightly browned on bottom, and hard enough to flip without tearing. Usually takes between 5-8 minutes. You want it cooked thoroughly all the way through and not gummy at all. It helps to loosen the edges with edge of very thin spatula before flipping. (If you have trouble with it sticking, you can use ½ tsp of coconut oil in pan just before pouring the crepe.)
- Let 2nd side brown (1-2 min.) and place on plate.
Lucia’s Cheezy Topping
- saucepan (optional if using high speed blender)
- Whiz all ingredients in blender until very smooth.
- If using VitaMix, may blend for 6-8 minutes until sauce has cooked and thickened but still pourable. If not using VitaMix, go to next step.
- Pour into small saucepan over medium high heat and stir constantly until it boils. Allow to boil for about 30 seconds. Will thicken with cooking.
- Variations: May add ½ c. of roasted, canned pimentos (or 1/4 large red sweet bell pepper) for a sweeter, orange colored cheese.