Whole oat groats are the economical, tasty, and high protein star of this recipe. Fruit for sweetness turns ordinary into extraordinary! Make ahead for a “grab and warm” breakfast. Can also be prepared in small crockpot overnight for a ready-to-eat-when-you-get-up hot cereal.
Lucia’s Oat Groat Delight
- 1.5 quart casserole dish with lid (or use foil to cover tightly)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place rinsed oat groats in casserole dish.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to mix.
- Cover tightly with lid or tin foil.
- Bake for 2 hours, covered. Most of the liquid will be absorbed by then, but it should not be dry.
- Serve warm. May be refrigerated and rewarmed to eat. Chilling will thicken it, so you may need a bit of unsweetened non-dairy milk or water to thin it a bit.
Topping Suggestions (not included in nutritional calculations):
- Fresh or raw berries of any kind.
- A few raw or lightly toasted nuts.
- Some freshly ground flax, chia, or sesame seeds (or a mix).
- A few sunflower or pumpkin seeds.