Main DishVegan/Plant based RecipesVegetables
These vegan Cabbage Rolls are the perfect dish for those cool winter nights. They are hearty, flavorful and a meal the whole family will enjoy! I like to eat them with a side of veggies, mashed potatoes or simply, on their own. These Cabbage Rolls have become own of my go-to vegan comfort foods!
Servings 12 Rolls
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Cover cabbage with cold water in a large bowl to loosen leaves.
- In a large skillet, dry sauce the onions and celery until tender, adding small amounts of water or vegetable broth to prevent burning.
- Stir in the rice, meatless burger, parsley, sage, and salt.
- Remove 12 leaves from the cabbage and dip into a pot of boiling water until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well.
- Lay flat and trim spine off each leaf to make it easier to roll.
- Place 1/2 cup rice mixture on each large cabbage leaf (less on smaller leaves) and fold in the sides. Starting at the core end, carefully roll up each leaf, making sure the folded sides are snugly in each roll. (At this point, he cabbage rolls may be frozen for up to 3 months.)
- Spread half the tomato sauce over the bottom of an 11″ x 13″ baking dish. Place the cabbage rolls on top of the tomato sauce, seam side down.
- Spoon the rest of the tomato sauce over the top of the cabbage rolls.
- Bake, uncovered, for 60 minutes, or until heated through and the cabbage is tender.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking time, sprinkle with the non-dairy cheese shreds or drizzle with homemade, non dairy cheese sauce.
Meatless burger – may use soy curls rehydrated in beef style seasoning then chopped small, or commercial meatless burger like LightLife beef crumbles, or bulgur wheat burger. Serving Idea: Arrange rolls on a platter and smother with sautéed onions. Serve with squash and a green salad. Rice Options – may replace rice with 2 cups cooked bulgur wheat or 2 cups cooked quinoa Unstuffed Cabbage – Slice the raw cabbage and stir fry it until it wilts. Add remaining ingredients, simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender. Or bake it. Stove Top- Simmer the cabbage rolls in a covered skillet for 20-30 minutes. Slow Cooker – Cover, and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Top with cheese just before serving. Instant Pot – Cook on manual high pressure setting for 12-15 minutes.
Serving: 2rolls | Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 9927mg | Potassium: 456mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 2mg