These easy and super delicious burgers can be made in large batches and frozen for quick sandwiches later. They can also be served with a brown gravy as a main dish. Unlike most other oat-based burgers, these use the whole, intact, grain as the main ingredient adding a wonderful chewiness to the burger as well as moderating blood sugars.
Oat Groat Burgers
- Instant Pot
- 1 c. raw oat groats cooked till tender with 3 c. water and ¼ tsp. salt (3 ½ c. cooked)
- 2 T. Braggs Aminos or unfermented soy sauce
- 2 c. onion finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. walnuts chopped
- 2 Tbs. raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp. vegetable salt
- 6 Tbs. Nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ Tsp. oregano
- ½ Tsp. basil
- 4 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- Cook Oat Groats in water with the Braggs Aminos.
- Dry pan saute onions with vegetable salt, Italian seasoning and yeast flakes. Add to oats.
- Mix all other ingredients; let sit in bowl for 10 minutes.
- Shape into patties with 1/3 cup measure or ice cream scoop.
- Bake on prepared cookie sheet (non stick pan or line with parchment paper) at 350° for 25 minutes on one side, then 20 minutes on the other. Time may vary according to patty size and oven heat.
- Let cool on rack.