So, I promised you a simple meal idea that is a crowd pleaser and allows the picky eaters to enjoy their own version.
I call it Mexican Mountains. And it’s a kind of like a baked potato bar but is all plant-based.
Start by putting whole russet potatoes to bake in oven at about 375 degrees.
While they are cooking you can put the rest of the potato bar together. You will need multiple small and medium bowls into which you will put the toppings. These can then be arranged like an assembly line on your table, kitchen island or bar area and then people will start with the baked potato, split it open, and put any or all of the following toppings on the potato. It’s the perfect one dish meal!
So here are toppings you can prepare – remember, this is just a starting point, you can do variations, but I’m sharing some of my favorites with you!
- Beans – pinto beans, vegan chili beans, or lentils will all work. Organic are recommended. These can be canned or homemade. There is a link to how to do the homemade version RIGHT HERE. Using a crockpot or Instant Pot can make this a “set and forget” step.
- Vegan “beef” crumbles (check your grocery freezer and refrigerator sections for what’s available) – optional ( In my cooking club, I teach you how to make your own crumbles from whole foods which are even better!)
Grab your knife, food chopper, or processor for the rest –
- Shredded leaf lettuce or chopped spring mix
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Red onions, chopped finely.
- Diced red and yellow peppers
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Mild salsa (Herdez is my favorite) or make your own.
- Nut-based vegan cheese sauce for a whole food option, or VioLife vegan cheddar or mozzarella shreds. Follow Your Heart is another great brand, and Daiya is widely available.
Just pile on your favorite combination of toppings and enjoy!!
I hope you are seeing that it doesn’t have to hard or take complex recipes in order to prepare plant-based meals. In fact, with a little planning, healthy meals can be put on the table in 30 minutes or less!
This is a great way to feed a crowd !