These chewy bars are very satisfying for a breakfast, or to stick in a brown bag lunch, or even to serve as dessert, maybe with a bit of blended frozen fruit ice cream on top! Serve with fresh fruit, or spread with a little nut butter, or crumble into a bowl and eat with milk! Lots of things you can do with these bars and you won’t even notice they have so much zucchini in them!
Lucia’s Zucchini Bars
- 2 ½ cups oats OF rolled
- 2 tsp. Featherweight Baking Powder or Rumford non-aluminum baking powder
- 1 tsp. Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups zucchini (shredded and Measure after pressing out all the juice, about 4 cups before that)
- 1 ½ cups dates pitted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅔ cup soy milk, can be vanilla flavored
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F..
- Grind the rolled oats lightly in the blender to make flour (over grinding will prevent bread from baking through).
- Pour the oat flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the baking powder and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Place the zucchini into the bowl with the flour mixture.
- Place the dates, vanilla, and soy milk into a blender and blend until fairly smooth.
- Pour liquid into bowl with the zucchini and flour and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into an 8.5″ springform mold pan or 8.5×4.5 silicone bread pan, or lightly greased 9″ pie dish.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
1. Replace cinnamon with 1/2 tsp. ground coriander + pinch of star anise + 1/4 tsp cardamon.
2. Add 1/2 tsp. ginger powder. or 1 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger.