Inspired by a French recipe, this amazingly simple but beautiful dish is full of flavor and a wonderful side dish or main dish.
- Wash, then cut the stem off the eggplants. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Lay the flat, cut, side down on your cutting board with the stem end away from you.
- Using a sharp paring knife, start about 1⁄2 an inch toward you from the stem end and slice the rest of the length towards you in 1⁄4 inch wide strips. This creates a fan effect with all these narrow strips that are connected together at the far end of the eggplant half (see photo). Do the same with the other 3 halves.
- Slice your tomatoes into 1⁄4 inch wide lengthwise strips.
- Place the prepared eggplant half in a glass baking dish, flat side down.
- Spread the strips apart and place the tomato slices upright between each strip. If the eggplant strip is longer than your tomato slice, use a couple of tomato slices.
- Repeat until all the eggplant strips are stuffed with the sliced toma- to. They will look like fans with the alternating purple skin and red tomatoes.
- Arrange them in the baking dish.
- Top with the onion rings, garlic slices and sliced olives.
- Sprinkle the whole dish with a little salt and a generous amount of the Italian seasoning. Drizzle with the olive oil and cover tightly with tin foil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350oF. The roasted vegetables will create their own delicious sauce and are great served with brown rice, over baked potatoes, or over whole grain couscous with a fresh green salad.
Serving: 1-6th | Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 172mg | Potassium: 917mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1340IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2mg