Chickpeas, also known as garbanzos are a wonderful legume. They are high in fiber, with a wonderful mild flavor that lends itself well to a variety of seasoning options. This recipe uses some traditional East Indian seasonings that really make this a very flavorful dish without the irritating spices often found in curries. It is delicious served over blander foods like plain rice, steamed or baked potatoes or other starchy root vegetables. Just a add a tossed salad and you have a complete meal!
Lucia's Asian Style Chickpeas
Savory sauce is delicious over whole grain brown rice or steamed/baked potatoes. Add tossed salad for a complete meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, cold-pressed
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seed
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 whole med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp salt, or to taste
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 1-2 cups chopped green leafy vegetables (kale, Swiss chard, beet greens, or other)
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped, roasted, peanuts (no added salt or oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
Heat oil and toast first 5 ingredients until aromatic.
Add onion and garlic. Stir until onion is softened.
Add salt and tomatoes. Simmer a few minutes.
Add the garbanzos, leafy vegetables, and coconut milk. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes more.
Serve over brown rice or potatoes. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro.